Pressure washing is a handy system to get the job done. The results are fantastic after the house is sparkling clean. However, can you get sick from pressure washing? The force from the pressure hose is so strong, and if you make one wrong move, it is very possible. Before you start any project, inspect the house for any underlying issues that may infect your health. In this article, we will talk more about what could happen if you can get sick from pressure washing.
If you don’t do it right, that is. Pressure washing is effective, but it is dangerous to your health. Pressure washing the deck or the exterior of your house is great and all, but you need to take advantage of safety precautions. While there are risks that could happen to your house, let’s avoid those and talk about your own safety.
You can get sick if you’re cleaning off things that have mildew, algae, or mold. With these released into the air, it’s a risk for your health breathing in these unhealthy structures. So, yes, those who already have respiratory issues can get sick.
It is easy to physically get hurt. To avoid injuries follow a safety process. The impact of a pressure washer may lead to an infection if you don’t handle it right. The force of a pressure washer is so great that it could end up cutting a small gash in your wrist. Pressure washers shoot air and water at an extreme velocity which can penetrate deep into the skin, causing damage.
Power Pressure washing involves the use of chemicals. You’ve read up on all those chemicals back in chemistry class in high school so you should be aware of how dangerous most of these chemicals are when in use. Any of these chemicals that give you a cut may end up harming your health.
Bacterial infections and other serious health problems are an issue. Some chemicals, if not used properly, can also generate long-term health problems such as cancer, or permanent damage to the brain, nerves, or lungs.
When using chemicals in a pressure washing environment, it is imperative to have as much information about their use, health and safety risks, dangers, and disposal recommendations as possible.
Chemicals harm your body in any shape or form. People are at more of a risk if they have been exposed for hours by intoxicating chemicals rather than a few short minutes.
Be in the know about how all your equipment works. Gas-powered pressure washers involve the use of Carbon Monoxide. Carbon monoxide is a poison to your lungs. Exposure to carbon monoxide, especially when in closed spaces, is a long-term damage effect. Hearing loss is a major fallback. Always wear proper protection when you are pressure washing.
Mold is not healthy for people with respiratory issues like asthma or those with allergies. Not only breathing issues, but mold can cause a nasty skin rash, a runny nose, eye irritation, and nasal congestion. Nobody should ignore the mold that they have in their home, to begin with. Mold grows on any substance where moisture and oxygen are present.
Areas in which it can grow are on wood, paper, or carpet surfaces. When clearing it away, always use a mask and eye protection because it is no easy cleaning process. Afterward, give your hands a good wash because you should never touch your face right after handling mold.
Working around wires is not safe when pressure washing. One wrong move and you could easily get an electric shock. Follow safety instructions very carefully. Electric shock may lead to risks in health, long-lasting injuries, and death.
Always wear a mask to protect yourself from inhaling any dangerous substance. Water is shooting out at cracks and uneven angles. If you get hit by pressure washing, you may get sick. It is likely painful, too.
Never pressure wash near your feet. To begin with, you should be wearing shoes. Boots, that is. Boots are safer because of the chemicals in the power spray won’t leak through your shoes. No matter what area you are spray, at your feet or in front of you, take a step back and spray at an angle. It ensures that everything is hitting away from you instead of at you.
Only use a pressure washer for chores that actually require a pressure washer. Never use one to remove debris. You have no idea where it is spreading around. For all you know, something sharp is in that debris, and without knowing you could step on it, causing injury.
Wearing eyeglass protection will keep your eyes safe from any danger. Being able to see is a necessity especially in a project like this. Avoid anything like rocks, paint chips, or grit hitting you. Keep your eyes safe with goggles or any eye protection that is closed all around. No, glasses are not a safe bet.
Make sure that the area is clear from any people before you start pressure washing. Don’t ever spray a pressure washer at yourself or anyone. Pressure washing is a chore, not a game. While water appears to be fun, it’s not when it comes to a job like this. Spraying your body with a pressure washer resorts to bruises, lacerations, and fractures. Keeping the pressure hose is tough so clamp it do to make the process slow and steady.
Don’t hesitate to call for help immediately. As soon as you have been hurt or exposed to a dangerous chemical call 911. Take care of your wounds and wash it was soap and water before treating it. Put pressure on to stop the bleeding. To prevent injuries from happening, remove any objects from the area that are a danger.